Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stinky Subjects

Back in the spring, I started looking at switching deodorants. I wanted an aluminum free version that would keep me from smelling like an unwashed farm animal. I tried Tom's of Maine first since it's most readily available at all of the mainstream stores.

I thought I had hit the jackpot. I didn't notice any smelliness coming from the pits and I felt good about using a product that didn't have the potential to give me cancer. Along came summer. Tom let me down. As it turns out, he wasn't as good in the summer heat as I needed him to be.

I picked up Trader Joe's brand next. It goes on a little sticky. As in, you put it on and hold up your arms a little bit to wait for it to dry...like a roll on, but it's not. However, Joe has been so much better to me than Tom. I haven't had any smelliness yet. I've been using it for almost a month now and the temps here have been in the high 90's many times. I'm impressed.

I'll post a little more later on why it's important to use deodorant without aluminum but for now, I wanted to get this out there in case you are struggling in the dog days of summer, like me.

5 comments:

wfbdoglover said...

At first was was going to comment that I wear Tom's in the winter - but not in the summer.

Thanks for the Trader Joes tip.. I will give that one a try!

Lisa said...

This is one thing I haven't changed yet lol. But to help with smells I have a perfume, natural and eco of course (not tested on animals either) to giveaway on my blog. :)

wfbdoglover said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! My tooth brush came today, my husband just brought it home. I love love love it! My teeth are happy (I needed a new one) and I appreicate your sweet note!!

I will post a blog about this and let you know when I post it.

Thanks a million!!

Have a great night.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I think my mom uses Nature's Gate in lavender. She likes it and she is particular when it comes to deodorant. My Grandma swears by Queen Helene's.

It's good to know about the Trader Joe's brand! I always wonder about deodorants... It's not like you can just test them out :)

-Andrea

Christy said...

Yes, I switched to the aluminum-filled stuff for summer. I liked my natural one from Lush, but just haven't been confident enough to try it when it's in the 90's every day here! And we don't have a Trader Joe's :(