Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I've Got a Beef To Pick

While I'm vacationing with my family for a few days, I've asked one of my favorite ladies in the world to stand in for me. She has no idea that she has been an inspiration to me in my green journey. I remember way back when she was the first of our group who was bold enough to try cloth diapers. She was also the first to make her own baby food. I love her, admire her and can't wait to share her with you! Enjoy Amy from Wake Me When It's Over and make her feel welcome!



I am so excited Heather asked me to guest blog on here! She's been such a huge motivator to step up my going green. With the sheer abundance of info out there it can be so overwhelming to figure out what step to take next. But with Heather here passing all her information along I've really been able to step up my game. So thanks Heather! You've been a huge help!


I've been throwing around the idea of switching to grass fed hormone free beef for quite a while. There are so many reasons that grass fed is better for you and the environment. Cows are meant to be grazing creatures. Instead they are fed corn because this fattens them up faster, which in turn causes the animals to become ill. Think acidosis, rumenitis, liver ulcers and bloat. So thanks to all those nice little illnesses the cows are pumped full of antibiotics. Oh and to get those tasty little cows off to slaughter sooner they get loaded up with hormones. Mmmmm...... I'll take 1 hormone riddled antibiotic laced steak please.

Antibiotics and hormones. Those are big one for me. I've heard time and again that our bodies are growing more resistant to antibiotics. Could this be because we are exposed to it almost daily through our foods? Seriously. I don't know, but it makes sense to me. And hormones? We have girls going through puberty earlier and earlier. It's been suspected that the hormone laden meats could be a cause for this but I haven't been able to find a full blown study. And breast cancer? Again, no study. It would be nice to have these studies done wouldn't it?

So all in all grass fed hormone free beef seems to be the way to go. The animals are raised more humanely. When it's time for slaughter you won't find them jam packed in a trailer cruising down the freeway to the likes of Hallmark Meat Packing Co. You know, the place where those videos of abuse and neglect surfaced a while back. Nope, generally they are slaughtered on site or at small independent slaughter facilities. And with all the meat recalls this would help me breath a little easier. The meat it self is higher in nutritional value. So I guess that leaves us with cost. Sure, it is a bit pricey. And I know every time I start looking into it I shy away because of the price. But then I think about it and realize I can't put a price on my families health.

I'm sure I'll take the plunge sooner than later. But I just can't shake this nagging feeling that I might be setting my boys up for some teasing in the future. I mean if the majority of other kids are eating hormone riddled beef will they have an advantage? Will they be bigger? Stronger? Faster? I know. It seems kinda silly. But Kids can be the most vicious creatures out there. I'm just trying to think of their emotional health too.

No comments: